CFUW Aboriginal Women’s Award (AWA)
Value Range: $10,000 – $25,000
In March 2015, the Education Council-Wolfville transferred the proceeds of their education fund to the CFUW Charitable Trust to establish a new award, the CFUW Aboriginal Women’s Award (AWA). This award was designed to honour Dr. Marion Elder Grant’s life-long commitment to education of women. Dr. Grant has an outstanding record of leadership as the 11th CFUW President (1949-52), CFUW Wolfville President, and Dean of Women and Professor of Psychology, Acadia University.
The value of the award is established by a formula which adjusts for the variation in the cost of tuition for different programs across Canada. The formula also allows for future awards to be adjusted based on higher tuition expenses. The award is renewable as it is designed to help a CFUW AWA Recipient by providing the award for a second year.
An applicant for the CFUW AWA will be considered eligible on the basis of the following criteria:
- Canadian Aboriginal woman;
- Study in Canada;
- Holds or will hold an undergraduate university degree or equivalent before the CFUW AWA for which she applied is granted; and
- Must have applied to be a full-time student in any year of an eligible program at a recognized or accredited Canadian post-secondary degree-granting institution.
Eligible programs: are the academic programs for which a CFUW AWA Applicant (or Renewal Applicant) may be studying. They include:
- Programs leading to a first degree in law – Bachelor of Laws (LLB); Juris Doctor (JD).
- Programs leading to the following first degrees in medicine – Medical Doctor (MD); Doctor of Optometry (OD).
- Programs leading to qualifying for a licence to practice as a Nurse Practitioner in the province or territory of the graduate’s choice.
- Programs leading to a Master’s degree in fields dealing with important Canadian aboriginal issues at the time the AWA is given as defined by the most recent Canadian report by the United Nations Special Rapporteur on the rights of indigenous peoples.
The next CFUW AWA competition will open in May 2017 with an announcement posted on this website.
2016-2017 Winner: BRITTANY CHUBBS